03 August 2005

Spending my time

Getting this going has been fun—I've started out by hunting down some favorite blogs around here, and a few other links where I spend my time. Otherwise, I have 3 summer projects:

1. Thesis work: I'm entering my third year (of 4), and hope to have my thesis done by the spring so I can concentrate on other things for the final year. This has meant extracting relevant bits of 5 volumes of primary texts, and reading secondary books as well. The first two steps of the first part are done, all in an Excel worksheet, ready for the next step before I can write. The other reading is ongoing—the more, the merrier.

2. My job: Half-time, decent pay, and not really half-time, even (nice being salaried!), and it's rather like falling off a log. I just need to do calendar work to plan the coming year, but it's pretty manageable. (Besides, it's just a block from home, so I'm only online at the office, so I spend more time here than I really need, just for fun.

3. The gym: If I were a woman, I might be called Rubenesque. My 5'7" frame has topped out (once in 1994 and once in early 2004) at 250. The first time, I managed to drop 50 pounds in the course of a year, but my milestone of 200 was more like a slow-bounce trampoline. This time, I've been going to the gym every weekday since school got out in late May. I've watched my cardio time and weight machine work improve, while the scale refuses to get below 219. Misty (Mrs. me) insists that I'm trading muscle for the other stuff, but I'm kind of depressed. Still, that's where I'll be, 2 hours a day, at least until school fills out my schedule.

And then there's travel: We spent a few days on a road trip north of here, and will be visiting M's family for a week in August (including my birthday, the 16th). Then: Burning Man. One of two cultural virginities left to lose (the other being Rocky Horror). As a non-outdoorsy person, I have mixed feelings about this, but can't wait. Oh, and I'll be with a group of friends and others who have gone before, but M. has less than zero interest in going, while knowing full well I'm off for a week of sex, drugs, and rock & roll (or whatever the 2005 equivalent is) in the desert. I suppose I'll have more to say about that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

13